Update. The current first grade teacher said that she feels strongly that he should skip second grade math and go to third grade because
1. second grade math would be way too easy
2. DS would probably refuse to do it.
3. It would be too difficult for the teacher to continue teaching him one-on-one (it has not been easy for her)
4. He needs to keep learning and he will start losing skills and ground if he is taught at the wrong level.

The principal said that she would contact someone with the district and I laughed because we had already tried to talk to this woman with the district several months ago. So the last teacher DS had said that no accelerated work would be necessary (therefore the district sided with the teacher and did nothing) and this one is saying that it would be disastrous to not accelerate. I didn't ask about pre-testing or anything like that yet, we'll see what happens next. Should be interesting to see them try to sort this out when there are so many different opinions.

DS's reading score was about the same as math on achievement testing but teacher does not think he should be grade accelerated for reading because his writing isn't the greatest. Not sure what I think about that. For both math and reading he is scoring the way an average student would at the end of fourth grade, so three grade levels ahead.