Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
In a nutshell, we have found that acceleration was good for a couple of months to learn something new and for the novelty of some of the material, the teacher and class. But after a few months, DS7 reported that it was "boring" and too slow. He was accelerated 3 years in math. He has asked to not do math in school next year (it is the only academic subject that he does at school - the rest we homeschool). I think that he actually preferred what he was doing at the start of the school year. He was sitting in his 2nd grade class and I sent in higher level work. I taught him the material at home (or he taught himself) and he worked on his workbook by himself at school.

Thanks. I'm still not sure what direction to (try) to go in. I know DS tends to like to be with kids doing the same thing...and he can be lazy and asks things like "why do I have to do so much work..." but he doesn't want to do "baby math" either. He is already fluent with multiplication and division and place value, etc. and that's a big part of the third grade curriculum. So I'm not sure what the point would be for him to be there anymore than being in second grade math. Fourth grade math might involve more writing, and he struggles with handwriting since he's 2e. I don't know if he will be accepted into the gifted magnet (like DD) in 4th grade or if he'll even be in this district anymore since I keep trying to get him out. But if he does go to the magnet, they mix all the 4th-6th graders up and put the kids at the correct level for reading and math. So if we can just get through the next two years keeping him in the correct grade...maybe things will improve in fourth grade. Or maybe not depending on what the eligibility criteria is then. He's not evenly gifted, he's much more advanced with non-verbal and math ability than verbal, but is an advanced reader. I think his percentiles for math and reading on the computerized testing were both 99 percentile.