Originally Posted by Mom2Two
Originally Posted by Ivy
HK made the comment in another thread that no solution worked longer than about 18 months. That's been similar to our experience as well.

While I agree with this statement, it has been our experience as well. What I dislike about this statement is that I feel like when I try and switch things up, my child loses some "stability" in life. Meaning, friendships fall off or adult teachers/role models are lost in the process. Whereas, most kids get more stability. How do you figure it all out with a kid who academically needs change and challenge about every 6 -9 months, but craves stability and no change in terms of people. I always feel like I'm sacrificing something.

Sorry to get back to this late (I'm on Europe time this week).

Yes, that's the trade off. And while parents can do things to mitigate this issues, it is a real issue. It's that whole least worst thing again. What's better for your child? In fact, it's a terrible catch-22 in some ways. And it used to make me angry that there isn't some kind of middle way. Yet with kids who are statistically so rare, it's hard to imagine what that would look like. DD couldn't stand having anything in her room touched as a toddler. Talk about resistance to change. But changing to get out of a miserable situation is a useful ability to have.

I had a school counselor advise me strongly against changing schools, ever, because each change could cause massive emotional trauma. Fortunately, DH was a military brat and could advise me that this isn't always the case. For us moving schools to support academic acceleration was better (we think, it's so hard to see those alternate universes) but that doesn't mean it was easy or all smooth sailing.