Thank Kathryn for your insight!! I tend to agree with you. She started going to 1st grade in March, which is around the time her behavior started to deteriorate.
She went from coming home at 11:15 to 1:50. She starts early kinder which means she is actually attending school 30 minutes longer than other 1st and 2nd graders. However, she is not like my introverted son who needs his down time. She always needs to be around people and stimulated when she is isn't occupied by reading.

I suppose I'm confused; isn't acceleration helpful to avoid frustrations like this? The educational psych and all the reading I have done suggest that she needed acceleration immediately. Perhaps this is due to the educational mismatch? Meaning she needs appropriate educational stimulation rather than, as you put it KathrynH, mental exertion from more self regulation for paying attention, following the teacher's lead and loss of self directed activities. I know she is having to write a lot more and she tires easily. But the 2nd grade teacher has told me that it is not an appropriate reading placement as she is so far ahead from the rest of the group.

This is throwing a wrench in the plans we are trying to hammer out for schooling next year. I know she needs at least 2nd grade math next year and quickly 3rd grade math shortly if she continues on the rate of learning she is exhibiting. But I am nervous about what it will do to her stress levels.