Originally Posted by Sweetie
And what is ridiculous is that all that outlining isn't required in a REAL college class. My college world history class (a freshman class) was here is the text book, here are the lectures in a two hundred student auditorium, write one term paper on THe Man for All Seasons, take three exams....half the exam was made up of multiple choice question and half the exam were short essays.

Find the busy work in that class....none...in the syllabus he had listed extra reading for those who wanted additional reading...but that was optional. That is what a real college class is like...sink or swim on three exams and a paper...not outline the crap out of two textbooks and additional readings and do hours of made up assignments of homework each night.

I read the textbook ahead of each lecture, took notes in class, I tended to rewrite my notes each night with the textbook open to that chapter and worked on my term paper a little each weekend. Easy.

This exactly. Requiring outlining the textbook seems to me to be a misguided effort to prepare students for college coursework rather than an attempt to actually imitate it.