Wow. That seems... oh, what's the polite way of putting this?

Oh, the heck with it--

that seems delusional. I didn't expect that kind of time from college juniors. Because, see, I had sufficiently strong math skills to understand that if I had an expectation that should take me an hour, I could triple it for the median of the students in my class-- maybe quadruple for the lower-division students. So if it took me two hours to write up detailed solutions for a homework set? (Which I did do each week-- problems were de novo and therefore, until I made them up, there WERE no "solutions" to be had).

I expected that students, even working in a group, would require about six to eight hours of concerted effort on that homework set. Then add in writing up a lab (another two hours), reading for class (another two hours), and we're at a grand total of about 10-12 hours weekly for my class alone, not including the occasional speed bump or the term project, which required some additional outside-of-class time, and which I therefore attempted to push to a week where most faculty did NOT have a major assignment due...

To have even that kind of expectation of a high school student is delusional. My only explanation is that the high school teacher apparently isn't bright enough (or aware enough?) to understand that the students in the course have other demands upon their time.

crazy

Sorry that you're dealing with that, brilliantcp.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.