Originally Posted by brilliantcp
Less understandable are the teachers that assign three five page essays over the weekend. I can't even imagine reading 90+ five page essays from DD's class of 30 students. The only up side is that DD can now really crank out a five page essay. Any topic, any subject, any number of facts thrown in for one low price...
And this is why my DS15, a freshman, won't be taking APUSH next year. Its the only AP offered to sophomores and it's one of these killer classes. He just can't crank out essays at the speed they are asking. He can write a good essay, he just can't do it fast enough. And his teachers know it so he won't be accepted. Honestly, I'm glad since he hates having to write detailed outlines of the text book, and APUSH requires them to do that. He is the type of kid who can read the text book once and then ace the test and doesn't see the use of all this outlining and copying. He will be frustrated and bored next year in regular US History, but it's going to keep him from getting overloaded. I hope honors science, pre-calc, and marching band will help keep it tolerable.