Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
When I hear stories from other parents about their kids needing 2hr NIGHTLY to keep up with the reading demands in some high school courses (AP, usually), though, I do have to wonder if they have a class with THAT much reading? Or is it that their child probably finds the course placement a bit much? I simply don't know. But in any event, my DD doesn't seem to need even a fraction of the time to keep up, and I'm equally convinced that I'd not sign her up for that kind of time commitment given the opportunity cost.
APUS at my kids H.S. is requires that the students read 8-10 college level books over the course of the year as well as the textbook. Detailed outlines are expected to be written along with each chapter in the textbook, so it's not a fast read. There are additional essays and newspaper articles assigned. I guess it depends on how fast the studnet reads, and how well they comprehend the reading. Admission to the class is very selective so most of these kids are very good readers/writers and these kids still find themselves doing 8-10 hours of homework for this class a week.