Originally Posted by blackcat
She also wrote this. "DD is a delightful girl with many talents. She is going to struggle with work completion and focus because of her ADHD but I think we have to keep holding her accountable for the work. I know she is capable and she will have to learn adapting skills because this is just how she is. Because she is so bright, I don't think I would be doing her justice if I weren't trying to teach her ways to accommodate her focusing issues." While on the surface there is nothing wrong with that, I think she is taking it too far and trying to "fix" DD, DD senses that the teacher thinks there is something wrong with her and is trying to fix her, and internalizing it.

Well, it is certainly true that people with disabilities have to learn workarounds in order to be successful.

I'd include some of those comments in the letter requesting eval. Comments of this kind are evidence: DD is not successfully completing work according to the teacher; the teacher thinks she probably requires specially designed instruction and accommodations. When you receive comments like that it is appropriate to ask: "OK, so what is the school going to do to support DD?" Not as a matter of "fixing" the child, but as a matter of providing equal access to the curriculum.

These med changes can be so difficult. Have you revisited what's happening at school with your prescribing doctor?