That lower writing fluency score is a place to focus.

*Does the school work on handwriting? My DS skipped first grade, and thereby skipped the repetitive writing of individual letters. This has harmed him, though I'm thinking that he's getting closer.

Originally Posted by blackcat
Originally Posted by DeeDee
The brainstorming/sequencing/hard to begin issues are all hallmarks of ADHD. These skills can be worked on separately (games that require thinking of many different items, for instance). They could definitely be worked on under an IEP. It is just very hard to convince people that it's a "can't" situation, not a "won't."

Yes, the teacher seems to think she's just lazy and continually lectures her all day long. DD now thinks she's stupid and that the teacher doesn't like her. The reason I kept her in that school was because she was doing Ok with the old teacher. It wasn't a great situation but tolerable. Now we end up with this. At least there are only 6 or 7 weeks left.

I would point this out directly to the teacher. I would likely cast it to the teacher as "we both see an issue here, let's work together to figure this out." And "I'm hearing a lot from DD that makes me think she's getting the idea that her struggles are that she's lazy. I see... (describe the trouble -- difficulty forming ideas, perfectionism, etc))" If at all possible, I'd have the meeting in person to humanize the interaction and to watch her body language in response.

I would cast the issue with the handwriting vs typing as "I'm wondering if we could collect some observational data..." Point to the writing fluency scores and ask if maybe she could compare output on handwritten and typed assignments. Ask that it be assigned to your DD, not for her to ask for it - at this point, *no one* knows what's right for your dd, including your dd. Also point out that the lower writing fluency score will point toward worse handwriting when she's focused on writing a statement with meaning instead of just writing letters. She can keep up with her brain, or she can form the letters well. Get the psychologist to tell you this, so you can pass it on to the teacher as "the psychologist says..."

For fiction writing, we've worked to separate the task of writing from the task of coming up with the story and sequencing it. We like story cubes for this. We've started with just 3-4 cubes, not the whole set. I have DS physically sequence the cubes in the order he'll use them. I *never* criticize or comment on the stories (they're very bare bones), but instead, we'll take turns on making stories, and I'll over embellish what ever it is I want him to do (giving characters names, more adjectives, more details, better connection between cubes, etc). I plan to later start scribing onto graphic organizers his stories to show him how it could be used. Maybe later we can get to actually writing the story, but with me doing all the scribing.