Originally Posted by Tallulah
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
Originally Posted by puffin
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
I like that visual - claws and fangs! For some reason, DS is not particularly competitive, at least with his classmates but that can change.

It's also kind of weird how clearly DS understands statistics from an early age. He undestands that even 99.9 percentile is ultimately a dime a dozen when there are millions of people. He is the one who pointed out to me that you can hit perfect scores on all the AMCs and be a long way from gaining one of the few slots on the USAMO team.

That is what often scares me. Ds7 is about 1 in 18,000. We only have 4.5 million in this country.

You are dealing with a much smaller pool - there can't be more than 200,000 kids within a year of his age range in your country. Just curious - how did you calculate that your DS is at the 99.995 percentile?

Google says there's 4 million per year in that age range. The page with relative frequency is here. http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx

So there's about 222 kids your DS age and IQ, 2000 within +- 5 years, and of course kids with higher IQs, and just a fraction lower, too. You only have to go down to 150 to be 1 in 2000, which is much more reasonable at 2000 per year, 20,000 within +- 5 years

I am not the poster with the 99.995 percentile child (1 in 18,000) but was responding to that post. Interesting. It was my understanding that the frequencies did not follow the bell curve at the high end beyond a certain point for the IQ tests commonly used in the U.S. For example, a ton more kids tested at the 150+ Full Scale IQ on the WISC than bell curve statistics would have predicted. I heard that there are other ways to tease out a reliable estimate and I was simply wondering what was used.