DS7 didn't warm to the notion that going to college normally includes living away from home. Based on that knowledge, he is currently only interested in ones we will live near so he can live with us. I'm guessing that will change.

Between DH, myself and our siblings, we have a nice mixture of colleges (large public universities with some highly-regarded programs, schools like Duke, Notre Dame, private northeastern non-Ivies (very competitive)).

He's started to ask about Duke and I've explained that many people want to go there, so not only does one needs excellent grades but also other activities. I'm not pushing past that at this point.

Based on my own experiences in conducting admissions interviews (for a top-ranked MBA program) and in conducting intern interviews for a major corporation, my goal is for my children to stand out as logical, personable, smart (!) and well-rounded individuals. The kind of people who can start their own businesses and keep them running or be welcome additions to any company. Critical thinkers who have compassion for others. What I hope they aren't is the kind of candidate who has no good answers for why they did something, what they learned from it or what they care about most deeply.

Between now and college time, I harbor some fantasy that the current "parenting arms race" will burn itself out.