bluemagic, do you like the Holt curriculum? I remember being told a long time ago that the district students are ready for pre-alegebra 1 year earlier than elsewhere, because the regular math curriculum is accelerated (before Holt they use Math Expressions). It seems unbelievable because for both kids it is SO incredibly slow and simplistic. I can't imagine anything that is MORE slow. I don't remember seeing the 6th grade book in the classroom but they did have Alegebra I and Geometry books. I'll try to do what I can during the summer but it looks like I need to work a lot on speed/fluency with her. I'm having her privately tested for the 2e situation and on the Woodcock Johnson her math fluency score was 3rd grade level and applied problems was 7th-8th grade equivalent (don't remember exactly and I don't have a score report). She understands everything, but the output/speed just isn't there. They say they can accommodate though, so maybe they'll just have to cut the workload way back. Give her half the number of problems to complete or something.