I just tell people that we believe that at this age (DS is 5.6) kids should spend most of their time playing and a bare minimum on school academics. And it is true. We really believe that. And nobody ever seems to question it. I just stop the conversation at that and do not go into details of what it is he actually learns at home.
DS spent the first trimester of Kindergarten in public school before we pulled him out and he was bored, wasn't really learning anything, and every single day he was complaining about not being able to play. So now he gets to play smile Our daily routine is I only ask him to earn 3 rewards in Dreambox learning math, listen to 4 books of his choosing through Reading Rainbow app (he pays a lot better attention to what he's taught when it comes through the iPad or other tech source)and I give him couple choices of activities for fine motor skills (writing or some sort of arts). That's it. Other than that we just discuss whatever his interest of the day is. Yesterday we were talking about how bathroom fittings work because he was fascinated by our dripping faucet ... today it was the workers fixing the asphalt road and the ways they used to do it. We are basically unschooling and he's still far ahead of our friends' kids and the gap seems to be widening. But we don't tell them that smile

I should add that another thing I usually point out as our reason to homeschool is health issues. With all kinds of allergies DS has, everyone just nods that it makes sense to keep him safe and homeschool.

Last edited by Mk13; 03/18/14 10:19 PM.