I am guessing that there are most likely reasons you've decided to homeschool other than thinking your child is so advanced academically that the local schools won't be a good fit - and those would be the things that I'd offer up as your reasons. For instance, when you homeschool you can choose the curriculum - that's a simple fact, no need to add you're looking at 2nd grade (or whatever level) instead of kindy curriculum. As a homeschool parent, you can pick and choose subjects in a child-led manner - maybe your ds is more interested in plants for science than animals. You can include a lot of hands-on projects, and you and your child can spend a lot of time outside the home(school) - at museums, parks, etc. It also gives you more time with your child. If you have a religious faith, you can incorporate that into your curriculum.

Think it through - there are probably quite a few reasons that you are looking forward to homeschooling that maybe aren't right at the tip of your tongue because the initial decision was due to academics.

The other thing I'd consider when talking to the other moms at the park, if it does come up, is that your child might not be the only child who's ahead of the game in terms of knowing what will be taught in K-1. It's also possible, in an area with schools with a good reputation, that there may be more than standard academics offered at those schools. I'm not saying that to change your mind about homeschooling, but instead to be open-minded that there might be some parents out there in your shoes who've made the choice to go with public schools. It's hard to know what's really up in the local schools until you've had a chance to get to know parents with children actually in the schools.

In the meantime, it's tough to be in a new neighborhood/city and looking for new friends, especially when our kids are young - most of us parents are so absorbed in the day-to-day life of taking care of our kids we don't have a lot of time left over to make new friends. It's possible that you'll meet someone at the playground that will turn into a friend, but also possible that the playground chats will never amount to anything more than just chats. I'd try not to worry too much if another mom you talk to gets turned off when she asks about homeschooling (or whatever). Instead, I'd try to find activities to take your child to that are interesting and fun for the two of you, and I'm guessing you'd have a better chance there of seeing other moms regularly and developing relationships that turn in to friendships based on common interests.

Best wishes,

polarbear