In my experience most conversations at the park or museum are fluff and the odds of alienating someone that I might have other things in common with aren't worth the incredibly slim chance that they are also dealing with a gifted kid. To 98% of the population the statement of "she's beyond the curriculum..." will come off as some sort of super-tiger mom bragging and they will run away. Honestly, 7 years ago I probably would have had the same reaction and probably assumed it was all about the parent. We don't homeschool but when we talk about school or my kids in general I generally keep it vague, find other things to talk about and if we click in other ways eventually we might get there. Most people who hang around my DS for more than 20 minutes (DD is more subtle) eventually say something or give me the "what did he just say?" look at which point I usually shrug and smile. Most people probably assume I'm at home drilling him on things and FORCING him to learn about the odd things he's babbling on about. Honestly, we don't need more fuel for the force field of oddness that can sometimes surround him wink Of course YMMV.