Please accept my apologies as I have posted this resource previously therefore to some it may seem redundant and not freshly tailored to the question posed... and yet the book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children can be so valuable.

One point in the book is that children are always motivated, however they may not be motivated toward the things which parents may wish they would be.

Keeping up with what currently motivates a child and dealing in the child's currency may help parents guide their children.

Because these kiddos may find schooling to be intellectually restrictive, they may be interested to get on with life beyond school. Although it may seem years away, parents may wish to look ahead into things like gap year programs, dual enrollment, and/or early college. Being prepared to help kiddos get their educational needs met when those needs may be outside the norm may be one way for parents to remain relevant and respected, and for the children to "just be kids" (that is, to be able to rely on adults). Possibly similar to the camping scenario mentioned by another poster?

These powerhouse kiddos may need and appreciate explanations on how the world works: how processes and procedures work in different organizations. This may help them see the value of certain rules. Having the information they require may help them plan their time, behavior, and studies to attain their goals. Essentially working to empower and guide them, not contain them, may be a beneficial approach.

Their questions may be along the lines of, "I can see it, but how do I get there from here?" For example, if s/he sees a judge and thinks s/he may want to be a judge someday... s/he may wish to visit a courtroom to see cases, and also learn the number of years of education required, the courses to be taken in college, what those courses consist of, how they relate to what s/he is learning now in elementary/middle/high school, etc. Parents may wish to be prepared to assist with researching college course catalogs.

For parents looking ahead to help kiddos who need educational experiences beyond the norm, The Davidson database provides guidebooks: http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/Article/Davidson_Young_Scholars___Guidebooks_375.aspx

Best wishes to all on this thread!