I live near Reno and my DS10 attends a HG school within a school (SWAS) classroom in the Washoe County school district (DA is in Washoe County). He had one full grade skip prior to SWAS. He is a DYS and I don't really know of any DYS in the area who have had a GREAT experience in the Washoe County District. The SWAS has served us well for the last few years, but this year there has been more emphasis on grade level standards and the program has accepted more students than previous years (this year's 5/6 combo is 30 kids - last year it was 22). SWAS starts at 3rd grade and the program is geared toward high verbal.

I am a native Nevadan and although I grew up in Las Vegas, I have lived in the North since 2007. I like the quality of life here - limited traffic, less crime, good weather (4 seasons)and great outdoor lifestyle. I also lived in the Bay Area as an adult for 14 years so it's nice to be just a short drive away.

All in all though, Nevada is not a state that invests in education so our schools are not great and are not known for being great. I think some districts try and have some good programs but most are doing it on a shoestring and getting additional revenue to fund education is difficult.

We generally plan year to year. We are not ready for DA yet, but my DS is likely in his last year of his current program. Not sure what we are doing next year, but working on it now. I am a planner too, so I get the desire to start on a pathway.

You may also want to consider testing with one of the DYS accepted IQ tests and doing achievement/portfolio and applying to DYS - they can be a good resource in helping sort out needs and options. Good luck in your journey.