Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do need to take a deep breath and slow down. Point taken.

I'm trying to make sure that the choices our family makes during these early years - especially given our general flexibility - ensure that he stays happy and well adjusted. There appears to be a fine line between being proactive and being a spaz. With so much to learn, I'm no doubt tipping over into the spaz department.

What was not stated very clearly in my original post is that he is completing Pre-K now and is not enrolled at this school next year. We had a plan to migrate him to public school once he was eligible, assuming they had adequate services for gifted, which they do. He has been accepted at our first pick public school, which is great. There is no allowance for changing our minds now either, as his current school is full for next year and already has a long wait list. Change is imminent.

Also, I am aware that the Davidson Academy starts in Middle School. However, it occurred to me that people who reside in Reno with children attending the academy likely have PG younger siblings. Where do these siblings go? Is there already a concentration of younger PGs in Reno with a less advertised public school program that is successfully meeting their needs? If so, this might be worth uprooting for early.

Epoh:
Does your child enjoy his current school? Yes, very much.
Is he having behavior problems of any sort? No. None.

Augilia:
Do you have just the one DS? No, we have a DD1 as well.
Unless you really just hate Florida and want to make a change, then maybe? Frankly, we dislike our city but found that other G options in the surrounding areas were far less promising. So we are here for the education, and general proximity to family.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies. It is a tremendous help being here and being able to talk about the future.