I hear you on being concerned about meeting the academic needs of a PG kid. It is a daunting thing to think about because it might be ok where he is now… or it might not be. It will need to be assessed more often as to if he is happy and thriving where he is now, or not.

The good thing is that you have a subject to work on that will be a challenge for him with the reading/verbal. That is a wonderful place to start and find a way to encourage his development there.

Kids are so very uneven at that age about reading. I work with some gifted kids in my homegrown LEGO League (FLL JR) class, but my DS6 is the only one able to read well. He can read just about anything. That class has helped me immensely with verbal skills too because I am not one to talk much either. Every kids has to present their ideas, so it's a very practical way to learn. I can't say enough good things about that class in terms of creativity and a great way to get smart kids together to do something fun.

I am so like you in that I wanted to just move to Reno right away. It's super cheap to live there! We are prepared to uproot everyone to meet our DS needs. We do have a DD4 as well who is likely G, but I'm not sure if she's PG.

We applied to new private schools for next fall and are getting more familiar with homeschooling as that might be our only option next year. I can't let him continue to be where he is at now because it is a terrible fit. Depression, anxiety and boredom are taking their toll. That is not happiness. Happiness is the most important thing you can aim for.

Some people have great classes that help their kids and if your school is providing challenge to your son and he is happy there, you are in a wonderful place. Let him grow a little bit and address problems as they become problems. If it's not a good fit now, then certainly start planning ahead. I'd just slow down and plan for next year. Take it year by year. Kids change so much in a year.

PG likely means having it easy in school without having to try too hard. You just have to find a meaningful challenges for him. They probably won't even be academic. It could be learning to swim, ride bikes, martial arts, music or make something. On the flips-side, encourage what he's good at too. Find a way to challenge him there by seeing how far he can go. You'll find that sweet spot of learning when he doesn't get all the answers right all the time.

Good luck! I know how overwhelming it can seem at first! You aren't going off the deep-end. It's good to take this seriously and it shows that you are a committed parent. Just realize this is a process. There isn't an "end" even if you think you have everything all mapped out. Maybe he takes up gardening and loves botany more than anything - just saying, you just don't know what's next smile

Last edited by queencobra; 03/11/14 02:37 PM.

Mom to DS9 and DD6