Originally Posted by mithawk
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
Even my DD, who is not mathematically talented, is consistently at above 99th percentile. She is just not at the extreme like her brother or even her mother.

Am I the only one who found it amusing that "not mathematically talented" and "above 99th percentile" were in the same sentence?

Glad to be of service. Definitions and standards make a difference. I don't equate high IQ and/or high achievement with math talent. In my experience, it is possible to be both without having math talent and perhaps more controversial, to be without neither (at least not super high) and yet have a certain math talent. My DD is very smart and she is able to leverage that to do very well in math, including 99 percentile on measures like MAP (250 Fall 5th grade). It is very possible that she will maintain that level of achievement through high school. However, she is only 10 so it is also possible that her "ability/achievement" will decline relatively speaking as she approaches high school. Elementary and even middle school math do not necessarily draw upon the same skill set as high school/college math. Many students excel in elementary and even middle school before hitting a wall in high school. Conversely, some genuinely talented math students struggle in elementary and middle school and sometimes even high school but soar in college once they hit calculus, differential equations, linear algebra and higher level math. DS is technically/numerically more verbally gifted than DD but DD is by far more talented as a writer. Talent is not high IQ or high achievement on standardized tests.