Go visit the school.

My ds was subject accelerated in math and LA 2 years. So when 4th grade came around he had to stay in one class for the whole day. I bet this weighed on him a bit. They were suppose to supplement for math but it never happened. We did AoPS pre-algebra at home and had a tutor once or twice a week. Time went by, emotional discussions with the school were tabled at times.

We went to a math contest in the spring at a local private middle school and took along a bright girl that was in my sons 4th grade class. My ds placed 3rd in one of the events. The girl said "they sure do math differently here". We knew this was the place. HE knew this was the place. He was sad to leave his friends but said he knew it was where he should be. He also took the EXPLORE at this school so he knew what the deal was.

We toured the school and thought about it some more. We had some more useless meetings with the public school again which just confirmed everything. When the schools academic director calls our son and anomaly my wife lost it. She took it personally.

Fast forward and we are at the end of his 2nd trimester at the new school. There were a few bumps but it seems to be working just fine. He gets to hang out with some other math geeks. They seem to adjust to each kid. They are on the ball with 2e issues and perfectionism.

Sorry to ramble, I have been reading along and when polarbear posted I had to post our experience too. We sure didn't want to spend the money but didn't see any other options.

The public school wanted to skip 5th grade and send him to middle school.
We opted to not skip.