Originally Posted by Melessa
The private school was recommended by the tester and using a curriculum developed by the CFGE. It's 10 mins away. It does say there are a limited amount of financial aid- it's a new school. Yet, it feels right. One other thought about this school; I thought maybe we could use it as fall back if homeschool wasn't a good fit.

I think you asked for others' experience up above - fwiw, when our ds was in 3rd grade we were in somewhat the same place (although we had a 2e issue thrown in the mix). Our ds was very unhappy at his school and the school was not offering help for his challenge and offering no differentiation at all. Our neuropsych recommended we switch to a local private school and my dh and I scoffed at that - no way did we want to spend the $, and ds didn't particularly want to switch. Fast forward 3 years, the situation at school was at that point beyond hopeless, ds was old enough that *he'd* checked out and was telling us he was not going back to the school he was in etc and that he had been bored beyond tears at school for years. This happened to coincide with an updated neuropsych eval before middle school, so once again we asked about school options, and once again the private school was recommended. This time we took a tour and ds was sold, so we readjusted our financial plans and out of desperation gave it a try. It was *the* single best educational decision we've ever made - ds was happy, ds was challenged, ds had intellectual peers in class... and most importantly, teachers listened to parents and didn't spend effort in being defensive or feeling challenged and fighting back. I can't tell you how many times I looked back and wished we'd switched back in 3rd grade when it was first suggested.

Will you have the same experience if you switch? I have no idea! But I think it's worth looking into, and as mentioned above, financial aid might be an option to make it more affordable. Our school has occasionally also offered incentives to bring in new students - this might be true of a new school also.

The reason I mention this isn't to say that a private school is a better solution, but to point out that the advice from your psych is most likely worth considering. Remember that he/she sees quite a few students (I'm guessing!) and that he/she most likely has a good overall knowledge of various pros and cons of the different schools in your area, as well as some knowledge of your child - so her advice is most likely worth listening to.

By socially, I meant making friendships with the other kids. Ds is a very social child, but is really struggling at school. Sure he talks to classmates, but is not "friends" with any of them. (We are working with a counselor to help him.)

My ds was like this in elementary school also. Getting him out of the school he was in and into a more appropriately challenging school environment where he also felt at home and felt like his teachers cared about him totally turned his social situation around - he made friends quickly in his new school and no longer was a social "outsider".

My dh wants to appeal. I do not. We met with the tester for advice. She said our district HAS accepted her scores in the past- annoying. She also didn't recommend appealing. She did say, we'd win; but at what cost? Is that worth it to us financially and emotionally. We also have a younger ds. Not only all that, but what if its STILL not enough? (Which I'm guessing will be the case.)

I'm not sure I understand what's involved in appealing that is such a worry? What amount of effort did the neuropsych feel would be involved in an appeal? What cost? Why would you have to spend $ to appeal? I'm not asking to question, just curious.

polarbear