Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by Bostonian
I already posted a cynical explanation of why they do this. But suppose they are acting in good faith and are reluctant to give credit because they want ensure that students properly learn the material. Is there documentation they will accept, for example a student notebook with completed assignments, supplemented by a proctored exam?

Nope. I tried that, both with his public school and DD's private school. They refuse to even consider anything that doesn't have an accredited stamp on it.

I ran I into a similar mindset problem when DS13 had skipped third grade. He wanted to do fifth grade science, and it wasn't allowed because the person running the school had decided that you couldn't possibly understand fifth grade science unless you had done everything in fourth grade science. The books all basically told the same story, but each grade level gave more detail and used more technical words. He just wanted to learn more details, but it was too bad.

Unfortunately, our education system in general just don't get it on many levels.

Yes.

This is the same kind of logic that our (virtual) school applies to these things.

We determined long ago that the best way to UN-do a gradeskip, in fact, was to homeschool for a year.

Of course, that would mean that the FIT would be worse after that year than it had been before it, because on an annual basis, my DD is learning far more homeschooling than she's EVER learned from them, but whatever...

they also only accept COLLEGE credits on an "individual" basis, and unlike "honors" or "AP" offerings at school-- no grade weighting for college classes (ever). When I complained that this seemed ludicrous to me, they "explained" that they haven't vetted those college classes for quality. No to AP credit for even top notch exam scores, too. NO, also, to CLEP credits.

shocked

And you'd better believe that my DH and I are WAY more qualified to be teaching STEM to our DD than any of the teachers she's had. The reason that she hasn't taken high school chemistry is that after witnessing the sheer incompetence of the instructor for biology (nominally the area of "expertise" vis a vis the teacher's college education) no way was I letting DD sign up for chemistry with that individual. I don't use the term incompetent lightly, but I use it quite freely there, and if pressed, I'd do so with administration, too. In fact, I have. My answer was to substitute a college class-- to which the school said "er... maybe... but it won't be weighted, and MAYBE we will have to call it independent study, not Chemistry." Outrageous.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.