Originally Posted by rac
Apologies, OP, I didn't mean to offend. I was simply wondering why you cared about that one snapshot in time, rather than taking the everyday picture she presents to you as more representative. Are you and/or OH likely gifted? If so, I might indeed want to test, but otherwise, I'd assume your eldest may just be an outlier, and keep an eye out for possible learning disabilities in your younger daughter, just in case.

Hi... not offended, just was a bit frustrated!

FWIW and since you asked, I was never identified as "gifted" but I grew up overseas and there were no gifted programs... although I did go to a magnet high school (admission test to get in) and attended an Ivy League institution her in the US. My husband was in the gifted program in elementary school, and we met at college. Both his parents graduated from same college as we did.

Why I started to worry about possible LD is that my older brother had a lot of academic issues when he was young... he probably had undiagnosed ADHD. He was late to read, had a hard time focusing.... was unremarkable through high school. Although at one point at high school some sort of IQ test was administered on him and he scored over 140 (to everyone's surprise). Long story short, he he ended up getting a PhD, and is a successful academician...

My younger dd is super social child with a lot of friends, and also has a hard time focusing when it comes to school related activities.. Like my brother, she also did not take to reading easily, but has managed to pick up in the last few months, and is now reading at slightly above grade level. Like I said in my original post, I don't believe she is gifted (I guess as I compare her to her older sister) but she does seem like a bright little girl (or maybe I am totally off-base as to what I would consider "average"). Thus my surprise with aforementioned OLSAT results...