Originally Posted by blackcat
The group ability tests like the OLSAT, CogAT, etc. do not measure the same things as the WISC.
DD's WISC GAI is approx. 32 points higher than her CogAT. Part of the problem with the CogAT was that it was timed and she didn't finish a lot of it. The section that she finished (verbal) was still a little lower than the WISC--97th percentile on the CogAT vs. 99th on the WISC.
First thing to do with these tests like the OLSAT is figure out if it was timed, and if it was, did the child answer all the questions. Then check to see if there were discrepancies among sub-tests (for instance scoring 30 points higher on one section than another). That would indicate a problem with the test (or a disability).
I would not come to the conclusion that she is not gifted based on the OLSAT. DD's CogAT composite was "high average" but her WISC is over 99.9th percentile. How sad it would have been if I had just taken the CogAT composite score at face value.

Thanks for the response. Her verbal score was 96. Subsets were verbal comprehension and verbal reasoning, where she got 5/12 and 9/18 correct respectively. Nonverbal score was 104, and her subset there were 8/9 (pictorial reasoning) and figural reasoning (11/21). So she got about half of questions correct in each subset, except for the pictorial one).

I guess I can ask her teacher if test was timed... not sure if she would be able to tell me if she answered all the questions.

We might have her privately test with the WISC to see what is going on here.

Thanks!