I am absolutely FUMING! I got an email from the school today saying DD needs to do this new reading challenge (reading the last book from a set of books) before they will move her onto the work we had previously agreed upon. I have never heard of this reading challenge before. It had never been discussed in all the e-mails (32 in all) and conversations we have had over the past 6 weeks. And low and behold she needed "help" and so they will go backwards to find out where she "should" be.

I am not upset that they are "trying" but I feel like it is just one road block after another to get DD appropriate reading. I asked for specifics and maybe I will get them, maybe I won't. It is entirely possible these books are a challenge, but I feel this should have been communicated to me previously as part of the schools plan to find out where they believe DD "should be." I think I would be more comfortable that they are operating in good faith if they had been more forthcoming in their "process" to assess DD, or had shown any pro-activity to "follow the child," instead of just winging it! I so want to trust that they have my daughters best interest at heart, but I think I am currently incapable of seeing the forest through the trees!

At this point I have to ask more questions, but at what point am I just beating my head against a wall? Can this school relationship even be salvaged? Should I even try? It is PT conferences next week and they don't feel we have a need for a conference because we have been communicating so "extensively." Any advice from those who have been down this long long long road would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my options:
1. Try to work it out with DD's current school.
2. Try another small (and I mean small) private school in the area who have said all the right things about being able to accommodate DD. They seem a little more knowledgeable about GT kids, but the class is so small (10-15)and it is mixed age 3-7.
3. Start to home school - but this seems like such a daunting task. I have a DS2 and I'd have to figure out what do with him while I homeschool. All the pre-school programs around here are over full and the only possible option is to send him to the same school DD is in now. Or try to hire someone to come to the house and take care of DS while I homeschool DD.

Oh, and I just want to scream thinking this is what I have ahead of me for the next long while! Thank you for letting me vent!