DD4 is in a Montessori 3-5 class and I am in the process of asking for subject acceleration in reading/language arts. DD is currently reading at a mid second grade level and it is clear DD's classroom doesn't have appropriate language arts works available. The school does have a 6-8 class so the works are available in the grades above. I met with the DD's teacher and the head of the school (also the teacher for 6-8) and was told once DD finishes all the works in the 3-5 class she can move up to reading comprehension. The school seems very hesitant to share exactly how many works are left before the reading comprehension works will be introduced. I have sent multiple follow up e-mails to the teacher, each one with more probing questions trying to discern exactly what is left and while some info has been provided, I still do not have an answer. DD works best when there is a plan in place and something to work towards so being able to say "you have x number of phonograms left to master before you can get more reading works" would certainly let her know what to expect especially since those works come from another classroom.

After my initial meeting I felt like the school was going to work with me to "follow the child" and let DD work at her own pace, but it doesn't seem that they are willing to communicate exactly what their expectations are. It seems they may have just agreed to accelerate DD to try to pacify me in hopes I would just go away. I am at the point where I want to ask for another meeting and insist on a written plan detailing what work is required for mastery before DD will be given upper level work commensurate with her learning level. I would like to ask for a plan for reading/LA and math as well (though I don't think DD will exhaust her classroom's curriculum for at least another few months or so).

I would very much like DD to stay in Montessori and my current goal is to keep DD in her class with subject level acceleration. This is my first time advocating and any thoughts on how to negotiate a not so forthcoming Montessori school would be very much appreciated!