JBDad:

I want to recommend some books I just read this year that I wish I had read when DS was younger:

Losing Our Minds, by Deborah Ruf -- provides information on levels of giftedness and early childhood indicators, anecdotes regarding school and life of gifted kids, and advice on proper school placement. Learn what worked and what didn't for other G, MG, HG, PG kids and their families.

and Re-forming Gifted Education by Karen Rogers, which goes over the options available -- types of acceleration and enrichment, modes of learning, etc., to help you figure out what type of school, grade level, curriculum and approach will work for your child.

Honestly, from what you tell me right now, I think you'd be best off homeschooling. Of course, PA has a gifted education mandate, so you might do better than we have done from 4 y.o. to 9 y.o. in NY. In our experience so far, we haven't gotten any sort of differentiation, even after the school did IQ and achievement testing (for OT services). We may possibly get a grade skip in math next year, but it's all still up in the air.

It sounds like your DS loves learning and you are following his lead for learning. Great job!