One thing I'd like others here to comment on ... writing. I've been told by a couple of friends w/ gifted kids that that is the one thing that either a) kept the kid from being skipped or b) the kid had trouble with after skipping.

For a) the school used the grade-level ability in writing as a reason not to skip K, for example.

And for b) the child was skipped into a grade where writing convention was assumed and writing stamina as well which would have been mastered in the skipped grade.

I recommended to my friend whose DS sounds HG+ and might try for skipping K if things go sour for him in K in the Fall (he missed the 12/1 cutoff by 5days) to work on his writing this summer.

I was shocked by how much writing was done in 1st grade at our school. DS's K teacher did NOTHING to prepare them for it. I would worriedly look at the other K writing samples in the hall but never saw anything similar from DS's K class.

My question I guess is has the issue of writing come up for you in accelerating your DC?

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 06/06/08 10:35 AM.