Originally Posted by Cathy A
On the other hand, maybe their child does need something different from what your DS is getting. Or maybe they see that the principal is not really "getting" their child.

I run into this all the time with the food allergy thing. Principal says, "But this was fine for another student who has a peanut allergy. Why isn't it ok for your daughter?"

I know what you are saying. Each kid is different and there isn't one approach that will work for all GT kids In many cases, I would say that this was the problem. And I guess it might be in this case as well. But what has struck me about this principal is her ability to propose a solution, listen to criticism of that decision, and make course corrections as needed. She had not met my son when we made the first plan. There was one teacher assignment I didn't like. I let her know a bit more about my son's personality and she saw it wouldn't be a good fit. And she placed him with another teacher (who was a perfect match). There was a scheduling problem they hadn't foreseen in the first couple weeks, which resulted in a detention for DS because of a tardy that was unavoidable because of the physical location of the classes he was going to and from. I sent her a quick email explaining the situation. By the next day, problem was solved and DS got an apology.

I actually suspect that if I do hear something different from this family about this girl that makes me think the principal misunderstood, I could email her and let her know my "take" and she would probably be thrilled to know what the problem had been so she could fix it. In fact, I got the sense that this was one of the reasons she wanted me to talk to them!

Yes, Dottie, I do think this is a family that has been burned before.

It would be interesting to see how DS and this girl get allong. DS is very verbal and has always done well around girls. But he will be in 7th and she's in 6th and probably they won't cross paths much. DS will be going directly to the high school in the morning for Geometry.

As I have said before, this is all happening at a public school in a lower middle class to lower class neighborhood. It would not be a school that you would pick based on its test scores or location. You just can't tell a book by its cover. Which may be another reason this other family is skeptical...

Last edited by acs; 06/06/08 06:45 AM.