I had a conversation today that made me think of the original topic of this thread--what professionals think of GT kids and families.

I was at DS12's school to drop off a form today and the principal stopped me. DS is in middle school 6th grade. I had met with her last spring to get DS set up for this year. I was nervous, but she listened to everything I wanted. She got DS in 3 periods of advanced English/writing/reading. One of those periods only had the 3 most GT kids. He got Algebra with the advanced 8th graders, Orchestra, and then the other usual 6th grade classes (keyboarding, PE, Social Studies and Science). He had a great year.

She said that there was child who was "almost as bright as your DS" who will be starting in 6th. Here is what she said, "The family has been meeting and meeting and meeting with me. They don't believe that we can provide what their DD needs. And I keep thinking we've done OK by your DS. So I wanted to make sure that we really were meeting DS's needs." I told her that they really were doing a good job. And she said, "I just don't know what else to tell them. Could I have them call you? Maybe you could reassure them." I told her I'd be happy to.

Anyway, the story is not to make any of you who have been advocating feel guilty. I advocated too. But I wanted to share the perspective of a hardworking principal who is doing a good job. I am sure that working with parents can be it's own challenge!

Last edited by acs; 06/05/08 10:14 PM.