I can completely understand wanting to keep the teacher - good teachers are worth their weight in gold! How does your son feel about being with peers who are older? The teacher sounds like she is really trying to help and that is HUGE!

Going through something similar with DS5 in kindergarten right now, but he is on the young end of his grade, so I cannot imagine grade-skipping him. He also needs work on his writing, but his reading and math skills are advanced. Teacher is great, but after conferences I am worried they just might not be able to work with him on reading this year. He is at a K-2 school, and honestly, they usually seem reluctant to level a kid above grade 2 in reading anyway (DD attended the same school, and her lexile levels "magically jumped" when she hit the new school at 3rd grade at the 3-5 school). They assessed him as a "Level N" reader (I honestly don't think they usually go higher at this school), but I don't know that they are going to do much with him in terms of reading this year. Right now, he sounds like he is "on his own" in reading, which is just frustrating. We are working with the school on this, but right now, he is on his own.