I am already wondering what amazing teacher gift to get for this amazing teacher. Seriously, I keep telling her how grateful I am. She is young. It's a reminder that young can be great! But she has also mentioned having a mentor with a special interest in giftedness.

DH brought up, and rightly, that she may be struggling with the balance of doing all she can to keep DS interested and "alive" while also helping the kids in the rest of the class get up to grade level. The gen ed part of school is 90% free/reduced school lunch. Many of these kids need a lot from her. This made me feel bad for her, to think of it this way. frown No wonder she wants him to go elsewhere for instruction some of the time.

Hmm, I'd think, though, that the principal -- since you mentioned s/he is over both gen ed and gifted magnet -- would want to be in on the planning for DS. Any reason to believe s/he wouldn't want to help figure out how best to accommodate him until he gets to the magnet.

To be 100% honest, the magnet is about 1/4 of the school and I don't believe it's where the principal's heart lies. There are bigger fish to fry.

Weirdly, there is no head gifted honcho at the school. It's just the teachers and the principal.