Ultramarina, I LOVE what your DS's teacher is doing for your DS and I'm not sure I'd want to move him, either. I'd love for DS to get some similar differentiation. To be fair, though, my parents were both grade-skipped and have periodically mentioned that they HATED it (socially, not academically). So I probably have been over-exposed to negative attitudes about grade-skips!

What you are describing with your DS's writing IS impressive. My DS5 does not have either the fine motor-control, nor has he shown the interest in extensive writing yet. So your DS's writing DOES sound very advanced!

Indigo, you know, at this point what I get is more of a "feeling," about this school's comfort level with advanced readers. I actually would love to go look at the K-2 school library to see what is in there. Although I've always volunteered at the school, I've never had a good reason to be inside the library browsing wink. Since I frequently take my children to our local public library, the selection of books at the school library is not a huge problem for us. I have often wondered, though, about children whose parents do NOT have time to take them to the library. If the selection is limited of higher level books - that IS a real problem for them.

Last year in 2nd grade at this school, DD was said to have what I though was a VERY conservative lexile level - in fact, I have always though the school GROSSLY underestimated it (but DD just read more difficult books at home anyway), but I am starting to wonder if it wasn't actually because it is a K-2 school and kids aren't "SUPPOSED" to usually have such high lexile levels. This year, at a new grade 3-5 school, DD8 suddenly has a "school declared" lexile range 1100-1275...hmmmmm...she didn't suddenly become a better reader. This lexile seems closer to her actual reading level, though.