Originally Posted by Pemberley
My current thought is to just try to remove the district from the equation. They want us to sign a contract in order for DD to bring the iPad home. We weren't able to reach our lawyer yet but what I am leaning towards is buying an iPad and letting the school load anything and everything they want. DD needs to listen to audio books on the ride to and from school. Rather than accept liability for district's machine we'll accept liability for our own. The school can be limited all they want by the district for their own machine but will have free reign with ours. We then cancel the IEP meeting that we scheduled and instead proceed with team meetings with the school staff. We isolate the players from the district. They have already agreed to provide everything we asked for - they have nothing else to add. We plan to hold them liable if something fails but we work hard to compartmentalize them. DD's education gets handled by us with the school. Period. If the school objects? Well that just may prove it's not an appropriate placement.

What do you all think?

I think it's an excellent plan. If school will do what's promised without further intervention from the district, go for it.

Your own iPad is definitely a good investment at this point, so you have freedom and control over it. I think there are some forms of insurance available to protect you if you couldn't afford a replacement in the event that something happens. (Sometimes you can get a rider on your homeowner's policy, sometimes you can get "student coverage.")

Pemb, do you notice how strong you've gotten? You are a force to be reckoned with.

DeeDee