Originally Posted by Pemberley
At one point she said something about this being the first time they ever had to load apps onto an iPad so they had to figure out how to do it.

SERIOUSLY?????? Ok, I'll hope for the sake of all the kids in your district that what she really meant was she doesn't have a protocol for firewalls or whatever set up yet since your dd is the first student to use an iPad but really, I think I would have thrown my hands up in the air and walked out after I'd heard that in the meeting... I mean really... this is an AT person speaking???? Would she like me to fly my 9 year old out there to help her install a few apps??? (Note: I would send a younger child if I had one lol!)

I can't imagine how frustrated and just beyond annoyed you must be at this point in time Pemberley - it's all just outrageous. I too was wondering about your dd's migraines - I hope the mess at school isn't causing her too much stress.

In addition to all the impact of this on your family, it makes me so sad to read that your psych and consultant will not take any more cases from your district. A similar thing had happened in the past here with private professionals we have consulted with, due to horrendous experiences supporting clients who were going through the legal process with our school district. Just so very sad all around!

I am thinking seriously of buying an iPad for home use so the school can provide her whatever they want regardless of what the district allows in school. I am still trying to figure out how to do that and not have the district balk and claim that we have accepted responsibility for all AT and then pull her OT training on it.

I have to throw one question out there - based on everything else that's happened this year, do you really think the district's OT training for your dd's AT is actually going to accomplish much of anything or be worth time away from class? There's been very little in our ds' AT that he hasn't been able to teach himself, and dh and I have been able to make up for those gaps as he's encountered them. I have also had help with tips on voice-to-text etc through a non-profit group outside of the school district. Unless the school can truly provide differentially meaningful AT training, if that was the one hold-up that you are worried about losing with taking over your dd's AT yourself, I'd seriously consider letting it go and providing her AT yourself. I realize I'm biased so feel free to ignore me smile It's just been our experience that AT provided through our school was too little, too late and not supported in a way that was workable. When we took over the control, it cost $ but it also gave us the freedom to move quickly and to be adaptable to meet our ds' needs, as well as giving our ds access to his AT at home during the school year and during summer break etc.

Another question for you - are you recording your IEP team meetings?

Hang in there Pemberley -

polarbear