No word back from the school district about allowing DD to actually use the iPad they have provided her.

The school, however, is trying their best. They found an old laptop and are trying to get it refurbished so they can at least have DD work on that without having to go through the district. The teacher also said she had DD do some keyboarding on her computer. Everyone is extremely frustrated and its all so unnecessary. As I told the director - if they recognize what she needs and we are in agreement (not to mention that it is already included in her IEP...) but their hands are tied by the district's refusal to cooperate this is never going to work. So unbelievably frustrating...

DD's psych suggested DH and I purchase an iPad and load it as necessary so the district's "nanny strings" are cut. We are going to have to check with the lawyer about how this could work. Maybe we provide it ourselves and go after them for reimbursement because they are failing to provide a service as specified in the IEP?

Anyone have experience providing your own iPad or computer? My understanding is the district is supposed to be responsible for all maintenance and updates but only if it is their machine. They have already spent the money to buy a machine and equip it as specified by the AT eval. I really just can't believe they are being so bullheaded at this point. According to the school director every other district just gives them the machines fully loaded and/or provides an iTunes card for loading apps as needed. We can't even provide the iTunes card ourselves because the district will not authorize anyone to load anything onto equipment that they own.

Really - can you believe this? This is AFTER they spent the money on an assistive technology evaluation, bought the iPad and agreed to all of its uses.

Seriously I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried...