My DD10 purposefully tried to use her hands at 6 days old - to push an ultrasound wand off her chest - DH & I didn't bat an eye but the pediatric cardiologist was stunned "did you SEE that? they're not supposed to be able to do that!" (btw, her heart is fine smile )

She was pretty early with fine motor (drawing faces at 10 months, etc). She could recognize and identify the letters of the alphabet at 16 months although it took her another 10 months before she could write them with a pencil and paper. She was bang-on average with gross motor (except for the 6 day old stunt at the cardiologist's office smile )

DS wasn't quite as cognitively precocious and had some gross and fine motor delays, although he was interesting when he was three - his fine motor was delayed, but if you put a paintbrush in his hands, suddenly he could demonstrate the fact that he could write and spell a list of basic (3-4 letter) words.

I don't know. I think there are so many areas of development and so many ways that a brain can be configured and so many different types and profiles of giftedness that it can be hard to tie this kind of stuff together.

Last edited by CCN; 09/08/13 09:55 AM.