He sounds like a typical six year old boy to me. Both of my twins can act like that, although one is not quite as aggressive. Somedays it seems that I am constantly putting someone in time out or explaining the reason that they must brush their teeth or wash their hair. And there have definitely been more meltdowns since summer vacation started. I think they are just testing their boundaries. They are becoming more independent, and are trying to see what they can control.

Also, I think some of it is related to the freedom of their schedules right now - we are spending more time together than we did during the school year, and they have a lot of unscheduled time. The more structure I can provide, the less conflict there is, so we are doing a lot of swimming, reading time, library time, events at the library, play dates, etc.

I have found the book "The Way of Boys" by Anthony Rao to be very enlightening. I originally checked it out of the library, but bought a copy because I liked it so much. The author makes the point that sometimes boys act their worst right before they make a big developmental leap.

Hang in there. Six seems to be a very tough age for boys.

Last edited by momoftwins; 07/15/13 05:57 PM.