But the other kids childhood includes a lot of hours of education, like it's "good for every child except the eg/pg kid". They're supposed to learn about the real world, which apparently means learning more about how other children learn and how teachers think, than about actual education. The whole world agrees that education is good for kids, why not for the brightest, also?
From what I've read (I think CFK said it) we can plan several gap years in between elementary, middle, highschool, and college but it won't work because once you've lit the fire for learning the kid's not going to take a break despite your plans. (except, like, signing them up to be a foreign exchange student.)
I don't think it's taking away a kids childhood to educate them. We send every kid to school.

I think, just from what the internet says, the kids need to somehow have an internal locus of control over their own education. Great, but when the school offers a young kid the choice between busy work and getting out of doing any work is that really a choice? I'm guessing they need to have executive function skills by about the sixth grade level, which is asynchronously awfully young for an accelerated kid. I've already been told I sound like a hothouse mamma. That's fine by me. I'm just trying to get my bearings and do this parenting thing right for my kids. Hothousing and scaffolding and "ready to learn zone" honestly sound the same to me.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar