La Tex, I think about this as a balancing act-- on the one hand, you have a PG child's innnate cognitive engine driving forward, and on the other, you have their innate chronological and developmental maturity acting as a drag on things.

While I do NOT believe in holding kids in lockstep with their chronological age (obviously!), I am also not in denial that there is a price to be paid for acceleration.

I am shortening my daughter's childhood by a full year every time we allow/encourage/support a full acceleration.

This is why at some point, that becomes a matter of thinking "This is wrong, no matter how 'right' it is for her, intellectually-- she deserves to BE a child while she is still a child."

This is one big reason why we have tried several means of slowing our daughter down by adding extracurricular activities, encouraging non-academic interests, etc, and keeping her in the slowest/lowest progression that she tolerates reasonably well.

While I'm not raising my child to be a child... I also don't want to raise an adult that never had a childhood.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.