Pem, He is five. At this point my theory is that he is a gifted dyslexic with a connective tissue disorder and a strong creative streak.

The reasons I think this:

Gifted - 99.9+ WPPSI last year

Dyslexic - FIL is dyslexic, numerous letter and number reversals and inversions, will read "was" as "saw", will read "seat" as "chair", "hop" as "jump", etc. He has an assessment with the Eides, authors of the Dyslexic Advantage in Oct.

Connective Tissue Disorder - specifically Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS). I have it. He has a 50% chance of getting it from me. He has many symptoms. My geneticist has referred him to a geneticist at our local children's hospital. He'll be seen in Sept. EDS could be causing the dysgraphia, dyspraxia, SPD type symptoms for which he has been in OT the last year.

The odd silver lining with the EDS is that the school accommodations are similar to dyslexia. Extra time, frequent breaks to stretch and walk around, a scribe, oral exams, etc. are all listed by the national foundation as accommodations to consider.

As I understand it, working with schools on accommodations for a gifted dyslexic can be a problem. Especially if the student is meeting the school's standard but not their own potential. I have even heard of some schools refusing to admit dyslexia exists.

EDS is very rare but real and a demonstration of the impact is shocking. EDSers were the contortionists and side show freaks of old time carnivals. I think a demonstration of the following would convince even the most skeptical school admin. that accomodations were necessary:

easily dislocate every finger
lay his fingers along the inside of his forearm (try it, I think most people would have to break a wrist to do this)
rotate his hands 360 degrees (try right palm flat on table and keep turning clockwise until the hand is back where it started (arm will look like wrung towel))
hyper extend his elbows
maybe dislocate his shoulders

That just covers the parts that might be involved in writing.

Before anyone thinks I am torturing the poor kid, this is how these demos usually go:

DS: Mom, can you do this?
Me: Where is your elbow? Bend it for a sec so I can see which way to go. Yep I can do it.
DS: Can not bendy people do it?
Me: Probably not. Lets ask dad.
DH: What?! (Shielding eyes) No, no, no that is painful to see and very not normal. Please everyone put their limbs back in their normal positions.
DS and Me: (shrug and laugh)

It doesn't hurt. I discourage him from testing his limits too often but every little kid is curious about their body and his is just extra interesting.

Pretty crazy stuff huh?

Last edited by KJP; 05/24/13 11:18 PM.