yuchi0103, we transferred our EG ds from public to private when he was in upper elementary school, so I can tell you about our experience. My first note though, is that all schools are different - not all private schools are the same just as not all public schools are the same, and even one school is going to potentially be "different" from year to year based on the principal/philosophy, a child's experience within a school can be different year-to-year based on teacher they happen to have that year, and different children can experience the same school in very different ways depending not only on ability but on personality. It's all a very individual choice in so many ways that it's impossible to know from asking on a forum like this, what the best choice for your child in your area will be. OTOH, I've found it's really helpful to ask anyway - because the different responses may give you things to think about that you haven't considered yet.

Originally Posted by yuchi0103
Dose anyone transfer kid from Public school to Private school? My son is in First grade now. He is complaining about the school since he is in K. He said he doesn’t like school. It is too easy… We let him took WISC & Woodcock Johnson few weeks ago. He got 145 on WISC, Broad Math 5.4 Grade & English 9 Grade for Woodcock Johnson test. Also, some of his score in Woodcock Johnson is 15 Grade.

The scores on WJ-III Achievement tests aren't telling you that your child should actually be *in* the grade listed as grade equivalent, they are only telling you that your child's score matches what the average x-grader would have scored on the same subtest. The subtests are also scoring very specific skills, not necessarily knowledge tied to a school district's specific curriculum. OTOH, the scores your ds has are very high, and that combined with his high IQ plus having him tell you he's bored and school is too easy are all good reasons, taken together, to seek out more challenge for him in school.

Should I transfer him to Private school? Because the budget cut so Public school doesn't have any program for gifted kids.

It's pretty clear that a change of *some kind* is needed. The first thing you need to do is to research all the options available to you in your area: first look at public and private schools. Are there optional/charter programs in your public schools? Don't be put off by private schools religious affiliations or how they advertise (philosophy etc) until you've talked to a few parents who's families have attended and you've interviewed the school or at least looked far enough into the school to know that it's not a good fit. Also don't be afraid to say no quickly to a school that just doesn't seem right. If you find a private you think would be a good fit, don't be put off by the cost until you've applied and inquired about financial aid - each of the private schools I've worked with have given out generous financial aid to families who couldn't otherwise afford to attend. Some have also given out merit-based scholarships to attract high-ability students.

I heard Public school will be a better place to learn social skill.

I think developing social skills is an important piece of the school experience, but I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement that public schools are going to be a better place to learn them than private, or vice-versa - again, so much is going to depend on the individual school, the school's philosophy, the teachers they employ, and to a certain extent, the makeup of the student body.

This has been our experience with moving our EG ds from public to private, fwiw, one sample:

Social - it has worked out REALLY well - far better than we'd hoped for. The things that have made a huge difference socially are: smaller class size, children who are in school to learn, not just there because they have to be there, parents of the other children are invested in the children, teachers genuinely care about each child, and a lot of work on the part of the school to teach values and also quick responses from the school staff when social issues do arise between children.

Academics - much more challenging and ds thrived on that. The school isn't specifically a "gifted" school, but it teaches curriculum 1 year ahead of state curriculum across the board, and differentiates for core subjects based on ability and achievement. The percentage of intellectually gifted students is much higher than in ds' public school classrooms, so class discussions etc are much more interesting. DS" teachers also challenge him to "go beyond" in the areas that he's passionate about in and strong in. When he's bored, he's challenged to think deeper etc.

How it all comes together - What I've seen for ds is that putting him in a setting that offered true academic challenge combined with teachers who understand and believe in him, created an envrionment that was also easy for him to fit into socially and has ultimately led to a huge increase in self-confidence.

So that's been our ds' experience. I don't think that the key was "private vs public" - I think the important factors were: flexible and challenging academics, interesting project-based curriculum, teachers who care, and small class size.

Best wishes,

polarbear

eta - one other thing that I forgot to mention - private school has worked well for us as parents too - we have found it much easier, in the school wer'e at, to be able to conference with our childrens' teachers, to have our voices and concerns and wishes heard and acknowledged and acted on. I think it's due to a combination of three factors - first, we're paying and we're the customer, but that's not all of it. The teachers are less stressed and overworked from managing large classrooms of unruly students (which was the reality of our previous school) and the teachers employed at the school genuinely care about the children - as well as, they value our opinions as parents rather than automatically assuming we don't have valuable input simply because we aren't professional teachers (which did happen quite a bit at our previous school).

Last edited by polarbear; 05/08/13 11:01 AM.