I only brought it up to show that you can succeed even with a < 'gifted' IQ and the number that I remember being bandied around was 127 which is in the 'optimal IQ' band, I think And becoming the POTUS is success beyond dispute. I never said that he ought to reveal his IQ test scores - I don't care about them one jot. I do think that his SAT scores and his transcripts ought to be available for public (his purported employers after all) scrutiny. Sorry, but I have such a strong reaction to double standards and overt hypocrisy.

Back to the OP - I don't think we need any 'studies' to tell us what commonsense does - that a strong drive to succeed, a fair helping of luck and a solid work ethic combined will always trump raw natural ability in just about everything (except IQ tests ). And as I posted earlier, IQ tests are just about irrelevant to everyday life.

It doesn't just apply to 'book learning' either - it is just as valid in other fields of endeavour. I still vividly remember the guy in Hoop Dreams that was just dripping natural ability but ended up as a car park attendant because he didn't appear to have enough drive to put up with and attend to what his coach was telling him.

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/02/13 10:10 AM.

Become what you are