Mk13, my ds who had an IEP did not have an IHP (what our schools call the health plan) and my dd who has the life-threatening food allergies did not have an IEP or a 504, she just had an IHP. There was a place in my ds' IEP form that an IHP would be inserted into if there was one. If that's what will happen with yours, I think that is a-ok.

I was concerned about having the IHP instead of the 504 for my dd, and had some other concerns as well re what we could and couldn't request that the school do to keep her safe. Our school was contentious, so I called FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network) (I haven't checked in on them in a long time, and I can't remember if they are still FAAN or have they morphed into a different group?)... anyway I talked to the FAAN lawyer (who will answer questions for parents) and his advice was that using an IHP in place of a 504 is a *very* common practice in the US for students with food allergies and that it was generally not an issue. The 504 is intended to be used when the necessary accommodations to allow FAPE aren't provided routinely by the school... but when a school is using an IHP process as the route to provide accommodations for kids with food allergies, that's considered to be legally acceptable under the ADAA (I might not be stating this technically-legally-correctly, so please don't take my word for *anything*) - but - it might be useful to call FAAN yourself or send an email and ask what would by typical and appropriate in your situation.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - we did have specific accommodations as well as treatment instructions etc written into our dd's IHP.