Originally Posted by DeeDee
It may also be worth envisioning what you want in terms of social and behavioral and communication goals.

DeeDee

DeeDee, you must be a psychic or someone who can see into the future? lol There was an incident at the school today and I only found out about it from the school bus company and not even the school! About 20 minutes before the bus was supposed to come to bring DS home I got a phone call from the bus company letting me know that the teacher/s had to carry DS onto the bus kicking and screaming and the driver wanted to give me heads up about it so I wouldn't be surprised when he came home all agitated and that the school would probably call me with the details of what happened. When the bus came, he was calmer but still upset and his face all covered in hives from the anxiety. When I asked what happened, he said his new job was the "door holder" (the kids all get a new job for the week every Monday and his job was the door opener / holder) and when they were leaving the school the teacher opened the door instead of letting HIM do the job. ... seemingly unimportant thing except when you have a kid on the spectrum who is a stickler to the rules, especially when it is a school rule. So, he had a meltdown because he didn't get to do his job and they carried him up, put him on the bus and that was it. 5 hours later and I have yet to hear from the teacher / school. I have done my share of carrying him into his room to calm down but I do make sure I explain to him WHY it is being done and usually I can reason with him over things so I can avoid these situations. He does calm down when he understands what is going on.

I know I am probably overreacting but I don't think this is the way school should had handled it. Had the bus company not called me to let me know about what happened, I'd been pumping him full of allergy meds thinking he had an allergic reaction to something seeing the hives on his face! Plus if this is the way they handle issues like these, there is NO way I would let my younger one who also qualifies for the program in. He can't really verbalize what's happening during the day and the slightest things upset him. No way would I let anyone handle him in this way!

Since I have no experience with this, am I correct to be concerned? Or is this how your kids' schools would handle it too?

Now, back to the IEP topic ... this is something I need to address in the IEP to make sure things are handled well. Those of you with kids on the spectrum or with similar issues when the kids are very particular about certain things, very literal, etc. ... what do you have in your kids' IEPs as to how to deal with these situations? We never had to address this when we put together the current IEP but back when we did (in the Fall) I was worried that these problems would come up and was told we would address them if the need would arise.