Mk13,
I wish I could be more helpful. I'll share my thoughts and reactions in the hopes that they might assist or spark an idea or help clarify your thoughts/direction desired.

First, I'll affirm your sense that school-provided OT might not be optimal. I think school-based rehab provides (OT, ST, etc.) have a very strong incentive to minimize needs and to focus on skills that suit their belief of what is optimal for class success. I'm dumbfounded that we had evaluations at two separate school districts, and in both instances, the school-based therapist reached a vastly different conclusion than private providers. Of course, private providers, too, might have an incentive to say a child needs their services. For instance, the school-ST said my son was only having problems with one sound, so he didn't qualify for school-based speech. I was puzzled because I identified two sounds. A private ST confirmed that he indeed had difficulties with two sounds. I had a similar experience at another school district. They said no delay or issue whereas an OT affiliated with a teaching hospital saw significant OT needs. I think you are more likely to encounter the provider at school pronouncing your child no longer in need of their assistance when that may be in the school's best interest, but not your child's.

Also, I share your concern that school OT, in particular, is tailored closely to compliant classroom behavior, disregarding broader issues. If you can swing it, I would see a private provider.

I'm sorry you haven't had more success in sensory treatment, despite sensory issues being present. I don't know whether it's applicable or not, but our success with sensory treatment required lots of ME doing things, not relying on OT to resolve/aid the issue. As I mentioned earlier, getting my children into gymnastics and swim was a quick and dirty way to resolve a lot of sensory issues in a way that let them be with other kids.

I'll also add that I've experienced "sensory savvy" as something like a fad. My impression seeing different OTs in EI was that lots of OTs spoke of sensory issues, but not all really, really had the training and sophistication to effectively work with it. The difference I saw in the OTs at a major pediatric teaching hospital addressing my children's sensory issues was a landslide away from how some of the other EI OTs approached and treated my children. I obviously have no idea how skilled your OT is, but you may want to consider a different provider if you don't feel like your making progress that may be possible.

I hope this helps!