No smacking from here, but when you are in a deep enough depression the only thing you want to know about the therapist is "how can you help me?". Or, in some cases, you don't want to know anything at all about the therapist/doctor because you are not exactly there willingly.

I think if you are going to a therapist for emotional problems it doesn't really matter at the beginning. After you've worked through some of those problems, it might start to matter. The most important thing would be that the therapist didn't shame your giftedness (which does happen, sadly). It also depends on the severity and nature of the problem. When I was in the deepest part of my depression, I didn't care at all. You don't really go "shopping" for one, you just take whatever lifeline is thrown at you. And, I certainly wasn't thinking in terms of giftedness.

If, however, you are talking about a therapist to help a gifted child adjust to a particular situation or to advise on educational options, it makes a world of difference.

And, the drugs made me, too, feel flat, which was actually better than where I had been before. Sometimes flat ain't so bad, when you consider the alternative.

Interesting thread. I can't remember how it got started but interesting thoughts.