Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
I would have an issue with this also! So they are saying kids can't eat while other kids are talking - oh, yes this makes total sense (she says sarcastically).

Our school takes recess away also as consequence. What does not getting recess look like? For us it means the kids have to walk around the playground the entire time. By doing this the kids still get exercise so school is off the hook legally.

OTOH - a 30 min. lunch would be great! Our daughters get a 25 minute lunch and that is from the classroom, down the long hallway, into the serving lines, filling your tray and eating, so more like 15-20 minutes depending on where you are in the line.

Well , 30 minutes actually is that .. walking from playground into the lunch room , line up to get their lunch and sit to start eating . So you're right it's not actually 30 mins or 25 mins either .

For DS , no recess meaning , they sit by the wall watching everyone playing on the playground . Usually there are average 10 kids doing this everyday according to DS . So they'll be sitting by the wall not doing anything !

I don't mind taking away recess if it's because something very bad . But seriously for talking during lunch .. and they give these poor kids no recess as a punishment ? I'd rather have them run 5 or 10 laps if they talk during lunch !! At least that way they get their energy out . They used to do this , but now they change to no recess next day .